This project is read-only.

Terrain bug in older cards

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM
I'm still working on this issue. And still can't figure it out.

The indices, vertices, bounding boxes are the same on the old and new machine. The way the older programs is acting is as such:

When quad-tree sections are smaller than the map, the rendering of the indices seems to go in strips from left to right down the heightmap. The problem is the program wasn't designed to do that. Quad-tree sections are square, not rectangular. The rendering should still be in strips (although technically triangle lists). For instance, if a map is 256x256, and the quad-tree sections are 128x128, then the map is separated into four squares. In this case if the section on the top left of the heightmap is being rendered it would be in a strip from row 1, columns 0-128, then 1, 0-128, 2, 0-128 and so on until row 128, columns 0-128. Instead it seems to be doing row 1, colums 0-256, all the way through.

There is still more to it, this is just what I've found so far. This problem is tough because I'm working around 50 hours/week right now and have school 21 hours/week, so I get almost no time to look into it. On top of that it only works on older cards, or new basic laptop cards, so I'm having trouble finding someone that can help.

I've posted this issue on the XNA forums as well for anyone that like to follow it (you don't have to be a member to read the threads).
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM
I fixed the terrain bug, I'll be releasing v0.175 soon with the fix included. I still need to re-optimize the engine because I have redundancies now that I had to re-do the vertex and index buffer system for the terrain component. Halllllllllaluyah!
Oct 19, 2007 at 1:30 PM
That's an interesting quirk with ATi cards. Congratulations on getting it fixed!