I'd Like To Help

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM
Hi Guys -

I'd like to get into XNA development, but lack an engine to work with (Primarily my problem is physics maths). None of the ones out there seem finished, but yours seems to be interesting, so i'd like the opportunity to contribute. Let me know if your interested.

I'm 26, and have been developing in .Net for 5 years.

Cheers

Tris
Oct 12, 2007 at 6:12 PM
This project is still in the design phase, and at this point I think we could use all the quality help we can get. :) LordIkon will have to decide, though. He's the coordinator.

In what areas would you be interested in contributing? You mentioned that you would like to get into XNA development; do you have any experience with XNA so far? What about DirectX/OpenGL? What experience have you had in .NET? Business apps, games?

Right now, LordIkon and I are just fleshing out a design, but it would be nice to start doing some real work soon. At the moment, I'm working on core engine architecture, and eventually will start on the physics module once the design in finalized. LordIkon's been working mainly with graphics, though I believe he said he wanted to do a lot more with AI.

If you want to take a look at the current source tree and give feedback on the design, that'd be great! In the current tree, there's LordIkon's "XNA Template" project, and my current work on prototyping the actual engine we plan on starting. The focus with the template is on overall structure and design. Obviously, it doesn't actually do anything, yet. It's just a mock-up for how modules will bind and communicate.
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2007 at 4:58 AM
You could contribute design ideas, flesh out important stand-alone functions commonly used in gaming. For instance, for AI I could think of about 10-15 important functions that could be used. There are issues in the issue tracker that can worked on somewhat independently from the prototype we're working on. For instance there is geomipmapping. Not a lot of physics involved in that, however you need to have a good understanding of setting up Vertices and Indices, how to sew them together in a geomipmap, etc. There are documents on it out there, I just haven't had time to do it. There are also bugs that need address. Such as the quad-tree culling affecting the index buffer on older graphics cards like the ATi Radeon 9800se. Of course if you don't have an older machine then you can't do a whole lot except give suggestions.

Basically I'd say look through the issue tracker, which also has feature suggestions. See what ideas you get from that. Otherwise you can look at shaw's prototype and give design suggestions. If after looking through things, you believe that you'll be able to contribute (which I would think with 5 years experience you could), then just shoot me an email at nfoste82(at)gmail(dot)com or post the request here and I'll add you to the project.
Oct 19, 2007 at 7:55 AM
Hi,

I've been working on a designer for XNA. In a video, I saw, that components just could be dran-n-dropped, when I figured out that this possibility was not shipped with XNA, I decided to make my designer. I've stopped working on it, but, I may send you my code if you're interested. The only disadvantage is that it encapsulate the component. Therefore, to set the properties of the component, you need to build the project.

Let me know if you're interested.
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2007 at 3:01 PM
Always interested in seeing xna projects, I don't have a lot of time to sift through code right now, is the code in a working state that shows off its features?

Also, as a community project you're free to take the newest version of the code and integrate changes into it and post your changes for review. That is preferable.
Oct 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM
My code is working with the little disadvantage I mentionned. However, I don't have much time neither to work on it, but I hopped to be useful to the community.
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Cool, well you can email it to me at nfoste82(at)gmail(dot)com. When I get a chance I will go over it, although I'm very busy so it could be a matter of days or weeks.