Game Script

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:31 AM
Have you had any considerations as to include scripting into the engine or not? Also which language do you want to support, C# being a obvious choice, where are others such as Perl, Javascript, AngleScript, etc.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:30 PM
I was thinking about LuaScript, but there is no support for it in C# yet. XML is also an obvious consideration because of its built-in support with XNA. I've been thinking about a scripting system, or at least a database setup for 'tweakable' values.
Oct 23, 2007 at 4:13 PM
Over at gamedev.net there is a good article on incorporating Lua with C# http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2275.asp
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2007 at 4:32 PM
I will definitely look into that, Lua would be nice.
Oct 23, 2007 at 4:51 PM
Why Lua, why not use C# as the scripting language?
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2007 at 5:07 PM
I'm looking into all possibilities. Scripting in Lua allows changes without recompiling, and reloading of scripts at runtime. It is also easier for users who are less inclined to programming to make changes.
Oct 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM
C# gives you the same possibilities, when used as script :)
Oct 23, 2007 at 5:58 PM
Honestly, I don't see any reason to use anything other than C# for scripting. XML wouldn't be a bad choice for data-driven elements, but something like Lua (unless compiled into IL bytecode) is just a needless performance roadblock. It's already going to be hell to get good CPU performance from the Xbox, there's no need to add a Lua interpreter into the mix.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2007 at 6:15 PM
Could someone mock up an simple example of C# scripting? I'd love to see it in action. If C# will work fine then I believe we should just use that, performance is important, and C# is already native.
Oct 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM
There are business scenarios for adding a scripting language like Lua or Angle, as these would target existing game/mod developers already familiar with these languages. But yes, I would also perfer C# as the language of choice.
Oct 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM
There are many examples of these on the web (here at The Code Project http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/cs-scriptforCP.asp) but the implementation into the engine depends on too much to actually write an example for that.
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2007 at 6:25 PM
Sturm, you seem interested in the development and outcome of the engine, if you feel you'd like to participate in its development I can add you as a member.
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:20 PM
Sure, I'll be glad to help out :)