Logo

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:45 AM
We need a logo for this project, any ideas?
Oct 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM
I'll have a look at it. Got some fuzzy ideas right now. Need to do some scribbles.
Needless to ask, but I'll do so nevertheless - the name will stay the same? 'Cause it would be nice, if it is somehow reflected by the logo.
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Name will stay the same just because we're getting a lot of hits on it right now. If anyone has ideas for a logo, please post them......I got nothing :(
Oct 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM
So the full name of the final engine will be:
XNA QuickStart Engine
Or should it be:
QuickStart Engine

The reason I ask is the XNA within the name seems to be a redundant information to me. Furthermore we might run into trouble with MS and copyrights as happened to the XNAMagic Engine which is now called Blade3D.
Well, as we are releasing the engine open source (as is) it won't be us who'll end up in trouble with MS - but probably others who'll try to use the engine commercially.
So before I put work into the logo I'd like to iron out what name to use. 'Cuz using Microsoft's XNA logo in conjunction with QuickStart Engine might ask for headaches.

just my 2 cents :)
Oct 26, 2007 at 1:16 PM
As XNA is a trademark of Microsoft I'll say leave it out of the logo.
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:13 PM
I was thinking of small variations to the name, like:

QuickStart 3D Engine
Oct 26, 2007 at 10:38 PM
As a variation you might use

QuickStart 3D Engine
Build on Xna(tm) Framework
Nov 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM
I made a logo and some variations to it. Real quickly. Have a look and tell me, what you like and dislike about them.
The "Build on Xna(tm) Framework" part of it isn't in as of yet.
http://home.arcor.de/merc_artax/pictures/quickstart.jpg
Nov 14, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Here are my comments:
  • I like the lower right one the most, the Q doesn't seem so out of porportion on it.
  • I like the idea of the running man
  • I do not like the color scheme, more actual colors please (We are not building a monocrome engine)
  • I think that the q-line should fade/disolve as it gets closer to the runner
  • The word "Engine" does not stand out clear enough, the black thick line almost "eats" it (maybe it'll get better using desolve line)

I think more about later, these were just my initial thoughts. Really nice work though, and again nice idea with the Running man :)
Nov 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM
I also like the bottom right one the most, but think the Q should be smaller. I don't agree with sturm on the colours though, if you use more than 2/3 it can look too 'busy'.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2007 at 9:21 PM
2-3 main can work, but I agree with Sturm that there should be some fading. Possibly some motion blur behind the man, to give the sensation he's actually running.
Nov 15, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Edited Nov 15, 2007 at 11:41 AM
The bottom right one was my favorite, too. It kind of evolved to that stage from the top left one.

Updated, just hit F5 to reload the image.
I tried to reflect some of your comments. Fading is in and looks good, I think. Just need to decide on which one to keep and which one to dump. Concerning the q-line eating the engine I gave the characters more room to spread across the line (as seen in the top logos). For comparison I left the old spacing in for the middle and bottom rows.
For the motion blur I'll go with 2 or 3 copies of the runner slightly offset behind his current position with different saturation values for the fill color.
Working on a color scheme right now. And probably on an own font... but that's a hell lot of work.
Nov 24, 2007 at 3:02 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2007 at 3:03 PM
How's this?

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1628/quickstartenginejpgsj3.jpg
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM
I like those as well as suzume's.