More User friendly

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:32 PM
would this project be better as an external dll library or even a VS template, when looking at the game template its quite large and kind of put me off looking at most of it as there was just so much code embeded in the game class.
After more patient and actually taking a look i really like the project now but feel it would be better having most of the code away from my game class.
If at the start i could choose what items i want for example inherit a QSEGame class which has all the stuff we need in there but not created until requested then in my initialize i would call them one after another
EnableSun
EnableSky
EnablePhysics etc

then check they are on or off with base.SunEnabled base.SkyEnabled etc.

this way with a bit of extra code on the QSE side i could get a camera a sky sun and terrain all up and running with some built in default properties all up and running in a few minutes and about 5 lines of code.

If this is out of the scope of the project then not to worry, i will definatly be putting a wrapper around it to use certain bits. i really like the terrian stuff so i think ill use that at least

i also think the cameras could be more user friendly..... have more options.. have ability to save camera positions and cycle through saved ones, id be happy to contribute this if you like, its something iv just done a lot of work on in my game
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM
Yes, many of these things are being talked about. There is a new prototype being worked on in the source code section that will include a whole new framework. For instance, the game class will be inherited like you suggested. The ability for multiple cameras at one time would be useful in certain situations, and might call for some thought about a camera manager class.

I've been working hard to add new features to the terrain, and it has paid off a bit but still needs work.
- The texture wrapping needs to be dynamic.
- The terrain should use a geomipmapping scheme to give a smooth look with a good FPS.
- Normal mapping is currently not working properly for terrain.
- Semi accurate normal mapping could save 30% on memory usage from terrains.
- I haven't built in a vegetation system yet.
- Terrain and vegetation splatting through their current design are limited to 3 types per terrain.
- Random terrain generation is also being researched.
- Terrains from a mesh option (like the XNA terrain collision demo from the XNA team).
- Terrain editor, ability to build your own terrain and then save it as part of a scene.
- Probably more I can't think of right this moment.

If you would like to contribute you can submit patches in the source code section and they'll be reviewed and then integrated if they review ok. If you feel you would like to contribute consistantly then let me know and I can add you as a developer.
Oct 29, 2007 at 3:18 PM
Ok cool all sounds good.
Is there a plan of action as such? if i wanted to help on the new structured version where would be a good place to start?
Oct 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM
If you're interested in contributing to the project, your best bet is to read up on top ten or so threads on this forum, get an idea for the design, and then join the conversations in these threads. We are working on finalizing the framework at the moment, and a lot of this work is online discussion instead of coding. Hopefully within the next week or so we'll get it straightened out, and start porting components from LordIkon's template code to the new framework. We could definitely use some help in this porting stage.