Problems with 1.8.2?

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM
I've been debating as to whether this should be in issue tracker or here, but since I'm not confident that it's not caused by something I've done, I'll post it here.

I have two problems with the latest build. First off the snowflake texture is now causing an exception about how it's not a power of two in size 14x14, what's odd is that it worked in 1.8 with the same size texture. The only other thing I changed was to go to XNA 2.0

The second problem is that all entities including the player and bot keep bouncing.

Any Ideas?
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM
Go into CommonVars.cs and change LOCK_FRAMERATE back to true. This should help with the bouncing entities.

The snowflake texture is just a warning right? It is a good warning too, I'll be turning off mipmapping on that texture, or changing it to 16x16, whichever yields better performance.

Thanks for the feedback.
Nov 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM
Ive just updated my source code, and have opened the QuickStartEngine project. It tells me It cant find the Xna framework referances. Is this because im running 2.0 and its using 1.0?

Also is that what were currently working from, or is the latest bit of the project only in the planning stage with no code laid down? Im still confused sorry, as Ive been seeing referances to framework, prototype and template. Which is the one were working on and what was to tide us over?
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM
I believe the project file will determine which XNA version gets used, so that shouldn't be the problem. I wonder if my commit screwed something up, I tested the template, but not the prototype because I didn't think I made any changes to it.

The project that is in the template folder is v0.182, everything else is prototype.
Nov 30, 2007 at 4:34 AM
Mike the QuickStart code is using version 2.0, but as it's prob using fixed path reference (I think I forgot to make it relative) you most likely need to go in and re-add the references to version 2.0

The QuickStart code is the prototype, how much of this should survive is a good question. It is a playground, but we are getting to a stage where we are about ready to start implementing the right code and get it into production.
Nov 30, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Ive re-added the referances, and it now compiles. Shall I upload it later, to save someone else having to do it? I did get 224 warnings, but re-openign the project solved that remarkably!!
Nov 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM
Did it run as well? Make sure you took the right references the QuickStart Engine uses version 2.0 of the framework.
Nov 30, 2007 at 1:39 PM
No, the warnings come and go, but I get a content error. It fails to load comic sans, saying that it was done with the wrong version of the XNA Framework Stack Trace. Has the project upgrade wizard been run onit already? If nto i will do so now.
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM
I wasn't aware that the prototype code was ever converted to XNA 2.0 in the source tree.

The warnings are probably the XMLDoc warnings, since very little code is actually properly commented at the moment. There's not much point in commenting it all when it'll probably be rewritten/scrapped after the new design.
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM

shawmishrak wrote:
I wasn't aware that the prototype code was ever converted to XNA 2.0 in the source tree.

The warnings are probably the XMLDoc warnings, since very little code is actually properly commented at the moment. There's not much point in commenting it all when it'll probably be rewritten/scrapped after the new design.

Youre right, they are doc warnings in the main. Im worried about the content error. Is it worth me attempting to update to 2.0, or should someone more experienced like yourself, Sturm or LordIkon do it?

Anyway, I thought you were revising?! :P
Nov 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM
Yeah.... about that.... I troll the boards every now and then when I have time between classes or just need a break. :)

If its only the SpriteFont item, just delete it from the project and readd a new SpriteFont object with the same name, and replace the font XML attribute with "Comic Sans MS". No quotes, of course. I'm not sure its worth committing up to the source tree. We'll have new project/source files after the new design anyway.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:25 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM

shawmishrak wrote:
Yeah.... about that.... I troll the boards every now and then when I have time between classes or just need a break. :)

If its only the SpriteFont item, just delete it from the project and readd a new SpriteFont object with the same name, and replace the font XML attribute with "Comic Sans MS". No quotes, of course. I'm not sure its worth committing up to the source tree. We'll have new project/source files after the new design anyway.

Ok, i wotnupdate it then. I have begun the network though, at the minute based on the old framework, just as my point of referance. Still cant get it to work though. Ive deleted the object in the Content folder, and tried to follow the guide in the doc. When I go to add a new item to add the SpriteFont xml file, its not shown as an option. Has the process changed in 2.0?

Edit: Ive done some digging, and as its not 2.0, we cant add new content items. The must be added in a special content project, and as we havent upgraded, its not there. Bummer. If it wont take long, It may still be worth upgrading the framework to 2.0.
Nov 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Shouldn't take long at all. The prototype was all done in 1.0, but I used Visual Studio 2005 Pro and just built the content off-line. I didn't feel like giving up the Visual Studio 2005 debugger. You can either use 1.0 Refresh and build the content manually, or run the project conversion wizard on the project to get a 2.0 project. I haven't tried it so I can't say if there are any difficulties.

For content building, I used the XNA Content Builder at http://www.codeplex.com/xnadevru/Wiki/View.aspx?title=XNA%20Content%20Builder%20%28XCB%29. It came it very handy when debugging content pipeline assemblies. I just attached the Visual Studio debugger to that program's process, and had full source-level debugging.