New Releases

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:06 AM
As you can see under planned releases there are now a new set of releases planned. These also detail what features we expect these will contain.

The new releases >= 0.19 will be implemention of the new engine structure we are working on. This means that further development on the Template engine will stop. As an effect of this the following will be true:
  • No new features will be implemented on the Template engine
    • There might be one or two but the main focus is the QuickStart Engine
  • We will still support and fix issues in the Template engine
    • This support will eventually be stopped but not for the 0.19 release
  • We will support those needing help convering form a existing game build on the Template engine to move to the QuickStart Engine
    • Depending on the extend this might push the release date of the 0.20 version.

Please note that each release has a expected release date. We are aiming on a two month release cycle. Rather than pushing the release date, we will push features, so the feature set will change (If time permits we will even pull in features from a furture release, but that's a dream scenario :))

If you have questions or suggestions for features please feel free to post those.
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:59 PM
Damn Sturm! You have been busy!

Great job outlining the issues/releases. I think this is definitely something we need to get ourselves motivated/coordinated!
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM
I think as a first step we need to get a simple game class running, period. For example, if I want to start the camera system, I have no base with which to test, without a game class of the engine.

I feel once we get a simple base started then people can start to contribute, otherwise we're all "planning" to start when there is something there.

So should we plan out what function the game class serves? For example, in the template it runs through each component's updates and draw functions, and sets a couple render states, etc. But if we have a scene manager it will likely handle the components and rendering.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Sturm, I will be submitting v0.183 in a couple of days, mostly just bug fixes however, I'm done with features.

Oh, and if we can't figure out a design for at least the game class in a couple of days I propose that one of us simply starts a project with a nearly empty game class as a base so the core team can at least have something to place their changes.

I think I'd like to take the camera system, and as such, all I need to know from you guys is what information the game/scene manager will need from it, other than that I can take care of the rest. Cameras are fairly easy. I'm assuming you'll need a view matrix and projection matrix at the very least. Would you guys rather have the scene manager create a bounding frustum off of those matrices each frame, or have the camera system do it and pass it?
Dec 1, 2007 at 1:30 AM
We already discussed some items here Camera, please use that thread for further discussions regarding camera