InvalidOperationException was unhandled

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:27 AM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6476/quickstartengineerrorop5.gif

I'm very unknown with C# coding (the only form of coding i know is a little HTML:P), so i don't know what thismeans...

i started the project in Release mode x86 and i got this (see picture)

My specs are:

2.93 GHZ single core processor
Windows XP
512 MB DDR2 RAM
Pixel Shader 1.1
Intel media processor 6
Dec 9, 2007 at 1:26 PM
Can you run any of the other Xna template games (like the racing game)? I guess that your gfx card doesn't support 32bit textures, which gfx card are you using?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM
Your graphics chipset/card is too old. It doesn't support PS 2.0 or 32-bit index buffers. Unfortunately most XNA programs require at least PS 2.0, and many terrain programs around today use 32-bit buffers.
Dec 9, 2007 at 5:38 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM

LordIkon wrote:
Your graphics chipset/card is too old. It doesn't support PS 2.0 or 32-bit index buffers. Unfortunately most XNA programs require at least PS 2.0, and many terrain programs around today use 32-bit buffers.

This is an interesting point. Can we get our code to scale well for old cards? And old computers in general?
Dec 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2007 at 5:55 PM
You guys are just going to love my current un-committed SM 3.0 changes. ;)

Seriously though, one of the main issues I'm facing is how to design the material system such that it supports a wide range of features, and allows a level of detail setting to scale from ps 2.0 to ps 3.0 based on hardware. Supporting ps 1.1 or 1.4 is possible, it would just basically replace the shaders with fixed function replicates.
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM
I've got no issues with 3.0, but if I remember steam statistics they show about 35% of their current player base doesn't support SM 3.0. We certainly will need to account for people who don't have 2.0.

I noticed that the XNA Racing Game has multiple shader techniques for different shader models. Can't you check for shader model through XNA, and then we can base the shader technique call on whichever version they have?

I don't think we should consider SM 1.x a factor. The fact is 2.0 cards were made 5 years ago, and 99% of 3D XNA applications will require it.

We should setup a small requirement document and post it on the home page. It would simply say what specs were required to run the engine.

Something like:

Minimum Specifications
1.5ghz or faster CPU
512mb of RAM
128mb Video card, must support SM 2.0 or higher, must support 32-bit index buffers.
300mb of free HD space.

We could list the minimum supported video cards. For example, I believe the oldest supported NVidia is either a late/higher-end model 4 series, or the 5200. And for ATi our lowest would be the 9200 Radeon. We might support some of the intel integrate graphics sets, but probably not a whole lot of them.
Dec 9, 2007 at 8:54 PM
Best not to do so, as this implys its been regirously tested and guarenteed to work. At least thats what supported means to me. Maybe we should just list features, as anyone who uses the engine can make their own requirments list uniques to their game, and if theyre making a game surely theyll understand things like SM 2.0?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Well at the very least we should state that it requires a SM2.0 card, and then we could state which are the oldest SM2.0 cards. That way they can see if their card is older. I also know 32-bit index buffers is a requirement, so this is something that should be listed. Additionally, I'm sure we can test how much memory the engine uses, eventually, and after that point it might as well be listed for others to see.
Dec 10, 2007 at 5:34 AM
We should state what the engien requires and what the demo game requires. I guess there is no hard requirement in the engine for 2.0 and 32 bit indexes in the engine? If there is could we move that part or would it be possible to create something which did have these requirements?

My guess is that not all game types will have these requirements, and I for one would love to be able to run the engine on my old laptop :)
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2007 at 5:58 AM
It is very likely we'll require at least SM2.0, for most of the pixel shaders. Also, the terrain system requires 32-bit index buffers. I haven't looked at whether it could use 16-bit index buffers, but my guess is that it would require re-writing a good portion of it, and I also have no machine that supports it. The fact is most SM2.0 compatible cards also support 32-bit index buffers.

Running on an old laptop will be very difficult. I couldn't even get a 2D HUD rendering on mine with XNA. XNA isn't friendly with a lot of older cards or integrated graphics setups, and never will be.