Menus

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM
Does any one know how to add menus to the game .e.g A menu containing objectives ect.
and how to use a custom picture as the backround and display text and images on top of that backround picture
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2007 at 2:17 PM
You should look into a the game state manangement sample on the XNA forums: http://creators.xna.com/Headlines/developmentaspx/archive/2007/01/01/Game-State-Management-Sample.aspx
Through this method you can make menus and different screens. However it isn't very quick as the game must revolve around the game state system. We'll be putting this system into the new framework of the engine, but that could be a few weeks at least.
Dec 17, 2007 at 5:20 PM
i got the game state management demo do i add the the quick start engine game main to the Gameplayscreen Please con you tell me what i must do!
Dec 17, 2007 at 5:57 PM
The QuickStart engine is not designed to work with the XNA samples, it would take a bit of work to merge the two. You could try replacing the base class of the Game State Management game with the QSGame class and compile with the QuickStart engine assembly. That may work, though this is not tested.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM
This brings up something I was thinking about. Would it make sense to have a frontend screen that we could use to load multiple things? For example, you start it up, and it gives our logo, and any other info we deem important, and then gives the option to start the engine or start the level editor. The frontend loader could be disabled easily for developers who wouldn't want that in their game.
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:39 AM
You mean something like the Autorun programs you find on a lot of software CDs/DVDs? That'd be pretty easy to mock up.
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:02 AM
That might be a good idea, but it would be easier just seperate the projects and let the user open the one that they want wouldn't it? Either way the editor is being developed to use the engine but not be run inside the engine.
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:10 AM
I envision it more like a launcher type of application. So there's one shortcut for a game, and that shortcut starts a launcher which lets you decide if you want to run the game or one of the tools. It could even open up Visual Studio and load up the game logic project once we finally get scripting in there.
Dec 18, 2007 at 6:35 AM
That's an approach used by many games today. But make sure that there is a mechanism to bypass this and go directly to the game or editor or test or whatever. WoW does have this ability and it's widely used. I personally hate these screens but love the ability to bypass them.