What do we need for 0.19: Task assignment

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:22 PM
With our planned release date of Jan 14 for 0.19, we need to finalize the task assignment for the team so we all know what we need to do. Please post what you plan on having "done" for this release (i.e. a couple days before Jan 14).

I believe the graphics system is in an acceptable state for the first release. It's far from perfect, but it works. I'm going to try to write out the preliminary physics interfaces and start on the PhysX back-end so we can hopefully get LordIkon's template-level physics for the release.

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:40 PM
I should have the interface for the network done, and the local loopback. This is very nearly done, it just needs testing. Ill also tie it into the rest of the engine and demo ready for the patch.

Im like you shaw, its far from perfect, but acceptable for a first release.
Jan 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM
I'm still working on mie, though I won't be able to do any checkin the next few days, because I need a new wireless network adapter for my developer machine. But here's the status:

Event/Messaging System - Did the initial version, there is a bug with not releasing messages, causing a build up of messages, working on a fix.
Input System - Initial version ready, should work fine, I'm waiting on LordIkon to comment with experiences when implementing GamePad
Keyboard Handler - Checked in, still writing UTests for this, hence not closed
Mouse Handler - Not done
Object Pool - Has a bug I'm working on fixing
BE, spaces in path - I've fixed this bu introducing subst on install, should be checked in on my next checkin
Unit Test Framework - Patch available, you should all use this to create tests for your new code (And also for any other code you've created)
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM
The terrain setup should be sufficient for this release.
The camera system should also be sufficient for now.

I plan on getting a basic gamepad input implemented. At least for a single player, possibly for all 4.
Jan 6, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2008 at 2:29 PM
Im done, locals sorted and the outline for the interface is done. I will be making changes to it but this is of little impact as all communication with it is through messages. Ill post the patch later after ive checked it and cleaned it up, along with commented.

Ive noticed that every few minutes, the game freezes. I will debug this and see if its my code at fault, it likely is :).
Jan 6, 2008 at 2:33 PM
For a bizare reason I believe its Console.WriteLine. When moving, 1 button is no problem, 2 or more causes it to stutter. The local code at the moment writes "Message recieved" every time it gets a message. With this line commented out, it fine, with it active it stutters. Odd.
Jan 6, 2008 at 2:37 PM
It's not really that odd. Writing to the console or the debug stream (or to files) takes a bit of time, which can easily add up when you're doing it 120+ times per second (2 messages per frame @ 60 Hz).
Jan 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM
You could also just redirect to a mem stream which you would just write to disk every mem or so.
Jan 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM
Could everyone please update their assigned issues, setting the Status to fixed if the issue has been checked in, do not close any issues, we will do that once everything is verified and we have a release version.
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:35 AM
Done.
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:13 AM
Edited Jan 8, 2008 at 2:13 AM
The following issues are unassigned:

If any of you feel you can take ownership of some of these please do so, otherwise we will need to punt those to the 0.20 release.
Jan 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM
I took ownership of Screen System. It's the compositor project that's pretty much ready. There's just a couple more things I want to add to it.

Render model - Using standard Xna Framework is pretty much deprecated. We have our own internal model format now.
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:21 AM

shawmishrak wrote:
Render model - Using standard Xna Framework is pretty much deprecated. We have our own internal model format now.

Roget I will close as rejected.