Loading screen

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:52 AM
While loading the game, specially when doing that in fullscreen, nothing is show before the game has loaded, which takes some time. Is it possible to create a loading screen, with our logo, which will be shown while the game loads?
Jan 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Should be easy enough if we move the initialize code to a background thread. This means the main thread is free to render loading while it works.
Jan 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM
I already have this working while the scene editor loads a scene. I show a text saying "Loading..." and a animated loading bar. :) I can add the logo also.
Jan 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM
Sounds good. How does the loading bar work? Is it one of the annoying non-specific ones that loop, or does it show the percentage complete?
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM

mikelid109 wrote:
Sounds good. How does the loading bar work? Is it one of the annoying non-specific ones that loop, or does it show the percentage complete?

:D It is one of the annoying non-specific ones that loop, a loading bar, but it can be converted pretty easy to a progress bar.
Jan 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM
No problem, its hard to be specific when you dont know what youre loading in advance. Me being unreasonable :)
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Well you actually do know as the save file contains all the information.
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM
Done! It shows a percentage value right now!
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM
Progress bars can show you a rough estimate of how far into the job you are, but they are very rarely accurate in terms of estimating remaining time. For instance, if you observe that it takes 30 seconds to go from 0% to 50%. The probability that 50% to 100% will also take 30 seconds is very low.
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM
And that's why it should show time ;) A percentage is fine (number or bar) and maybe the ability to set some info text for the user.
Jan 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Well, right now, I can pass any text to be showed. Also, the purpose of a progressbar is to show that the game is running and to give a estimated time to the user of how long he will have to wait to play. A moving image shows that the game is running and it is suppost not to be crashed or locked.
I hate when I start a game and the loading panel only shows a loading text and a frozen image, no animation what so ever, and the loading takes a long time.
So, shawmishrak is right. It is just to give a rough estimated time.

Loading progressBar

The blue bar is moving from one side to the other.
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM
I guess that the text somehow has to be embedded into the save file as it's not possible to know what to write. The scene developer might want a special text shown (maybe some kind of short intro, or hint of the day?)
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Sturm wrote:
I guess that the text somehow has to be embedded into the save file as it's not possible to know what to write. The scene developer might want a special text shown (maybe some kind of short intro, or hint of the day?)

Yes, something like that. It can be also some info of how to play the scene that is loading.