This project is read-only.

Lights? How many in a scene?

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM
How many lights the engine support right now in a scene? I am implementing a way to add bulbs that will cast light into the editor. They will need to have a few more properties like a model if you want a lightModel to cast light, a Lightflare, a castShadow, etc.
Jan 13, 2008 at 1:21 AM
True lighting is an upcoming feature. I need to do some more work on the graphics code first, which isn't a priority for 0.19.

Just let the users place "lights" and we'll sort out of the properties later.
Jan 13, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Ok
Feb 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM
What kind of lighting model(s) are you aiming for?
Baked lighting? Dynamic lighting? GI, ambient occlusion, spherical harmonics, wavelets?
Just in case someone needs something to read. Found this paper to be interesting:
http://www.research.scea.com/gdc2003/spherical-harmonic-lighting.pdf

No. I don't want SHLighting. I am just curious about the possibilities that are "out there" and which ones you find most ... recreatable with this engine, .NET and XNA.
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:59 AM
I think we'll have a couple of options. Dynamic lighting for indoor scenes would be nice, for outdoors you can go dynamic, but if you want to have casting shadows from a heightmap, and not just self-shadows, I'm not sure if you can do that dynamically. Ambient occlusion would be nice indoors, normal mapped everything, parallax mapping, etc....but it really comes down to what performance we can squeeze out of XNA. If we can squeeze that out of XNA I don't see why not, as long as we can easily use downgraded shaders on older/slower computers.
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:43 AM
And eventhough we provide some default lighting, devs can always just plug-in their own lighs and optimize it for their own games.