Terrain editor?

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:56 AM
I just found this XNA terrain editor. And it works with bug or any problem that I could see. Much better than my code that is not completed yet. Perhaps we learn from it and implement something like this here also.

Video: XNA Terrain Editor

Project with the source code: http://www.gameprojects.com/project/?id=8fc946fc5f
Jan 16, 2008 at 9:51 AM
I think that currently the most impressive editor out there is one for CryEngine2, there are some tutorial on crymod.com which shows their editor and how it works. This might be a good source for inspiration on features/layout of the terrain editor. Also the doc is pretty good on that.
Jan 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Yes, it is one of the best. But this one above is made with XNA and it has a few nice features. Just try it! We can make a terrain with any size and even non square terrains.
Jan 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM
I did, it's nice, a bit unstable and I really do not like the crappy winforms integration. He would have had a much better experience just having the controls inside the editor (more work I know).

I my opinion you should think of what you want in the editor, don't look at technology that comes later. Since I do not look at others code (I'll rather learn it myself) I can't really tell which is better codewise. I yours is unstable then work on makeing it more stable, before looking at implementing more features.
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2008 at 6:46 PM
Just because the editor allows for non-square terrains doesn't mean those terrains will perform well in a game. The reason they're square is to allow for a proper quad-tree setup, which drastically increases framerate.

Of course, if we're going to have non-square terrains we will need to be able to edit them. However, the editor of the terrain will have to be built around the terrain system we're using, not the other way around.
Jan 17, 2008 at 12:01 AM
While quads are certainlly optimized for square terrains, there are other algoritms for other types of terrain. The terrain type selected should just handle itself optimal, we might only provide a specific type, but that shouldn't make it impossible for users to implement their own terrain type and use that instead.