Installed Microsoft XNA Game Studio 2.0
I run the QuickStart Engine v0.182b solution file
Follow the XNA QuickStart Engine guide, which tells me to enable LoadTerrain();

I run the project and I get:

a blue screen (which is normal ) and a black terrain with a horizon:
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8643/terrainib9.jpg

Is this normal? What am i doing wrong?
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM
Looks like the terrain shader isn't working for you. LordIkon is the maintainer on the pre-0.19 code, so he'd know best. Are you familiar with the DirectX Debug Runtime? It may provide some helpful insight into why this is occuring for you. If not, can you package up your source and upload it somewhere? I can take a look at it see if it's the code or your graphics card being funny.
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM
It was an error in the source code. The guide told me put alot of things in comments and uncomment LoadTerrain()
Instead I just uncommented everything and now I do have a terrain.

Anyway thanks for your help and time :-)

Topic can be closed.
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:48 PM
Unfortunately the tutorial needs to be updated, as it is for an older version.

Fromzon wrote:
It was an error in the source code. The guide told me put alot of things in comments and uncomment LoadTerrain()
Instead I just uncommented everything and now I do have a terrain.

Anyway thanks for your help and time :-)

Topic can be closed.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM
With 0.190 coming out, which is a whole re-design of the QuickStart architecture, I'll do the tutorial agaian, if no one else has taken the position.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:25 AM
If you want to do it I would recommend creating a issue for it. I think it's just as important as the release itself so set the release for 0.19, impact High and Type Feature.

As soon as we got the networking code, we are locking down a specific changeset to be the release, until then start by looking at the physics and scene integration.
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM
Tough to say how "final" some of the stuff in 0.19 will be, you may end up re-writing a lot if you do a tutorial right now.
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:37 AM
I understand this, with each iteration (re: Version), I'm sure something will change, we'll have to adapt the tutorial for them aswell, I am more than happy to give it a go each time though. (If I'm also writing the demo, what better experience for me?)

It's very important you guys concentrate on your part (i.e. Programming), I can do the documentation, it's very doable, and would be pointless to waste the brightest brains in the project team on.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:40 AM
I'm all for having a document person. My writing is... well... let's just say my writing is lame and leave it at that!
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM
Charion I created a task for you Create tutorial which you can use to provide updates and upload any document you think we need. For any questions please create a discussion ;)
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM
Oh, my own task :D

Umm, is it alright if you guys if I don't actually provide any 'tutorial' related documentation until 0.190 gets released? :)

Just working on the 'demo' at the moment, I'm quite excited.
Jan 23, 2008 at 4:18 AM
I don't see that being a concern this early in the project. At least not until the engine is feature-complete enough to actually use it for something.

What format are you planning on using? HTML would probably be the most portable.
Jan 23, 2008 at 4:50 AM
We can certainly agree on that documentation related tasks/features aren't blocking releases. But my thinking was more that we would settle on a changeset as the release candidate, then we would all test that for a week or two and if no major issues came up we would release that. This would also give you some time to do the tutorial. But for the 0.19 release I guess that we can wait with the tutorial until after.
Jan 23, 2008 at 5:15 AM
Well, I did the 'second' tutorial, which was just very basic editting of what LordIkon had initially created, it was a Word document, but we could do it in a PDF format, or even HTML.

Ok, beginning with 0.20 I will have the tutorial updated and prepared for every successive release of the QuickStart Engine.