Library versus Game

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:57 PM
Hey all,

The QuickStart Engine looks pretty impressive. Great work so far. I was just browsing over a few things after I downloaded it and I had a few comments and questions.

My first question is why did you chose to implement this as a template/game instead of a game library?

I was hoping that QS was a library so I could just reference it from my current game code. If QS was a library, then when you updated the engine, I'd just need to download, compile, and update my reference, etc. It seems like it would be a pain if I would need to go through my own code directory structure to update the QS files at new QS releases whereas a library would be easier to integrate into games. Is there any chance you can review this idea to change the engine into a game library for other developers?

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM
Are you looking at the 0.182 release? Since then, the engine has been undergoing a complete re-design. You can find the first release as 0.19, and its written as a separate assembly.
Feb 20, 2008 at 5:07 AM
I downloaded QSEngine v0.182a. Either way, it's good to see that the re-design went in that direction. I'll download the 0.19 version tomorrow and check it out.

thanks
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM
0.19 is completely different, literally. :O). Being as it is the first version of the new framework there are features in 0.182b that aren't in 0.19, and there are features in 0.19 that are new and you wouldn't find in 0.182b. Major things you'll notice missing are things like a sky and water.

But some cool new things are Physics using Ageia PhysX, custom messaging system, custom model processors. Alot to come in the next couple of versions.