QSE Editor - (first) Thoughts

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2008 at 2:02 PM
Hi,

finally got around to look into the Engine code, and I must say it is pretty nice, also the Videos on youtube are well-made :)

I would also like to help you in developing this nice engine :)

One thing that drew my attention to this is, that even if the engine is that good and beyond, we'd need an Editor one day to actually make developing stuff
for this engine easier, let it be a level or menus. So what I'm asking is, has someone already started working on one editor for this engine?
If not, I could try whipping one of (I have started one for my project but let it fall) for this engine, but I would need some help from you who
got a little experience in that topic, beside I'd like to code one :)

Like some "mulitpurpose editor" that lets you create levels, scripts or allows you to set up entities which are usable in-game etc,
One thing we need to consider is how we manage model editing, e.g. you want skin a model for our engine.
Do you:
a) Skin it in 3ds max / another modeler?
b) Implement a feature like this into the editor?
What would be more comfortable for us?

Just one hard thing is though, that making it Windows-based, means having like the "Weifen-Luo Docking Framework" with the XNA 3D panel in the middle and dockable tools windows, that should be the beginning, unfortunately I don't know how to achieve, having a XNA Panel inside a Windows.Form...

These are my thoughts, feel free to share your opinions :)

Regards,
chris

EDIT: I came up with that design, post what you like or not, but keep in mind that this was my first design.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8438/qsempebg5.jpg

The docked windows on the left show all available entities (which can be dropped into the world/level)
and all Global Variables (I thought it to be for scripting, to easily modify scripts' variables, may be unnecessary though).
On the right you can see a propertygrid window, which always points to the current selected object (let it be the terrain (model), any entity (sun, enemy, markers, physics entities etc.) and a list of all the entities available within the world/level to quickly select them.

If you want, I can test-wise upload it on SVN and then you can check it out. It has no functionality whatsoever at the moment, though ;)
Mar 2, 2008 at 3:02 PM
A editor is already in the works have a look at: http://www.codeplex.com/QuickStartEngine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=19993
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Oh sorry, missed that thread. You can delete this then.
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM
I know XNASorcerer, who made the initial editor is out -of-commission for a little bit, so you may still be able to contribute.