Team Management

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:33 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2008 at 10:58 PM
In the interest of making some headway in this project, we need to refresh the team roster and properly distribute tasks. What I need from everyone is a quick "I'm still alive" post in this thread. I haven't heard from a lot of people in awhile, and it's time to purge the no longer active members. It's the only way to maintain accurate task assignments.

My concern right now is that we just don't have the manpower to do what needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time. I know I've been rather inactive the last couple of months due to other projects, and that also seems to be the case for everyone else. However, we have also lost team members. I'm not sure if Sturm will be able to continue with this project, and I haven't heard anything from mikelid109, charion, xnasorcerer, and a few others. For developers, that leaves us with myself and Lord Ikon, and a potential new member clertem. To be brutally honest, I do not think that's enough to implement something like a game engine. As much as I like this project, I have to question whether or not we're going to make enough headway to make it a worthwhile public project. If we are truly down to 2-3 developers, I think we need to come up with a much less ambitious plan of action, or decide how else to proceed. That's why I want everyone to check in here. I want to see how many developers are actually left.

I hate to be "that guy," but game middleware (or any middleware for that matter) requires more than just a couple of developers. If we were to get a user base established, we'd need to worry about support and timely big fixes in addition to just coding what we can in our free time. I just think our recent losses are putting us into the "danger" category.

KNOWN ACTIVE MEMBERS:
clertem
Suzume
shawmishrak
LordIkon
Aphid
KnightChris
ankur313
Sturm (pending)

(If your name is not on this list by March 31, you will be purged from the team roster!)
Mar 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM
I think that I'm still alive.
The matrix has yet decided to keep me alive...
Mar 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Still around. Been busy with a project - but that's coming to an end now.
No coding stuff though, only 3d graphics related tasks... and I still hope to see some sort of template game going to be made with the QS engine. But I fear our concept writer Charion can be put on the MIA list.
So a new volunteer for this section would be nice.
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM
Edited Mar 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM
We need to define the roles/tasks
What does a concept writer do ?
In the meantime, i'm trying to bring 2 friends into the project....
Mar 17, 2008 at 2:17 AM
We need to know who's available first.

A concept writer would be someone who develops a game concept.
Mar 17, 2008 at 4:05 AM
Ahh okay.
Mar 18, 2008 at 2:59 AM
I created the active member list in the first post, and I will continue to update it until March 31. If you do not report in by then, I will purge you from the team roster in order to maintain an up-to-date roster!
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM
lol, I didn't feel I needed to respond to the "are you there" thread earlier, as I was talking about the project elsewhere. But yes, I'm around, somewhere. :)
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM
I'm not dead just yet.
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM
Cool, we're up to 5 now.
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Aparently KnightChris is there too and want to work on the scene editor
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Yeah, yeah :)
Mar 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM
And Ankur my friend on the networking component
Mar 25, 2008 at 11:17 PM
I can work on the content processor for the terrain, and maybe the GUI controls too (I'd need some help on where to start from regarding those)
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:06 AM
Clertem, as for GUI controls, I would like to do them, ok? I've been doing these since some months and it's making fun for me, so can I code these? That would make me lucky :)
Mar 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM
I don't see any problem with that Chris, but for the scene editor ones then.

For the framework UI controls, then it's different.
I think Shaw and LordI would like to discuss it first.